Saturday, April 05, 2025
24.0°F

Forest doc draws 20,000 comments

Chris Peterson Hungry Horse News | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 9 years, 8 months AGO
by Chris Peterson Hungry Horse News
| July 31, 2015 6:39 AM

The Flathead National Forest received about 20,000 comments on its proposed action for a new Forest Plan. More than 19,000 of those comments were form letters, urging the Forest to do more to conserve grizzly bears, or to expand wilderness areas of the Forest.

About 300 to 400 were original letters, noted Joe Krueger, Forest Plan revision team leader.

The wilderness letters advocate expanding the Jewel Basin, the Bob Marshall north to Bunker Creek and the Mission Mountain Wilderness to Sunset Ridge. The grizzly bear letters call for more road closures, claiming the Forest doesn't have enough funding to maintain the roads it has.

But even the form letters are considered substantive comments, Krueger noted, and the Forest will take them into account moving forward.

"It helps us shape the issues," he said. "Most people felt like we did a good job with the proposed action."

The proposed action was just a first step in creating a final plan. A draft environmental impact statement is on course to be released in January. That includes amending the Kootenai, Lolo, Helena and Lewis and Clark national forests to include a grizzly bear conservation management strategy.

Krueger said a team of seven staffers is working on the document, including two writers and editors.

MORE IMPORTED STORIES

Forest doc draws 20,000 comments
Hungry Horse News | Updated 9 years, 8 months ago
First look at Forest Plan
Hungry Horse News | Updated 10 years ago
First look at Forest Plan
Bigfork Eagle | Updated 10 years ago

ARTICLES BY CHRIS PETERSON HUNGRY HORSE NEWS

April 29, 2011 2:39 p.m.

Experts forecast flooding by area rivers and streams

With continued cold weather, the potential for flooding by area rivers and streams has increased, the National Weather Service warned last week.

April 22, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Search suspended for missing skiers

The search in Grand Teton National Park for two men with ties in the Flathead has been suspended because of inclement weather. The men are believed to be lost in an avalanche.