Bullock extends stay-at-home order through April 24
HEIDI DESCH | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years, 12 months AGO
Heidi Desch is features editor and covers Flathead County for the Daily Inter Lake. She previously served as managing editor of the Whitefish Pilot, spending 10 years at the newspaper and earning honors as best weekly newspaper in Montana. She was a reporter for the Hungry Horse News and has served as interim editor for The Western News and Bigfork Eagle. She is a graduate of the University of Montana. She can be reached at hdesch@dailyinterlake.com or 406-758-4421. | April 7, 2020 2:07 PM
Gov. Steve Bullock has extended the stay-at-home order for the state through April 24, including the closure of public schools, to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
Bullock on Tuesday afternoon announced the extension of the order that first went into effect on March 28.
“While there’s no way to exactly pinpoint how long this pandemic will last or when Montana will face its peak,” Bullock said. “There are several things that we do know. Staying at home will flatten the curve.”
Bullock urged folks to stay home, avoid gatherings and only leaving home for essential work, visiting the grocery store or getting some fresh air.
Bullock said efforts must be kept up to flatten the curve and avoid a large number of cases of the virus that has occurred in other states.
“We are a state with a small population,” Bullock said. “But we must not forget here in Montana we face some unique challenges. Every action we take now will help us overcome these unique challenges or better yet make sure we never have to confront them.”
Bullock has also issued a number of orders related to the coronoavirus pandemic and those have also been extended. The stay-at-home order limits travel to only what’s considered as essential such as visiting the grocery store, pharmacy or hardware store, and only allows essential workers to continue working.
The governor also encouraged people to wear cloth face coverings in places where social distancing, such as stores, is a challenge. He urged people to use cloth masks rather than medical-grade masks needed for health-care workers.
Montana on Tuesday had 320 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Six people have died as a result of the virus, and an estimated 57 patients have recovered.
Montana schools have been closed since March 16.
The Flathead City-County Health Department on Tuesday confirmed that there is documentation of community spread in the county.
Within the last few days, the health department has received six cases where no known contact or exposure with a positive case can be found or where the person did not travel.
“These cases indicate that there is evidence of community transmission in Flathead County,” said Hillary Hanson, FCCHD Health Officer, in a release.
Five additional cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Flathead County on Monday, April 6, bringing the county’s total to 31 cases.
The health department’s communicable disease team has been in touch with all of these cases and are currently conducting contact investigations to minimize additional transmission. All patients have been isolated, and those who had close contacts with the patients have been quarantined.
For local information, visit the county health department website at https://www.flatheadhealth.org/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/.
For additional information, visit https://dphhs.mt.gov/publichealth/cdepi/diseases/coronavirusmt
MORE IMPORTED STORIES

State now releasing coronavirus data on individual schools
Hungry Horse News | Updated 4 years, 6 months ago
ARTICLES BY HEIDI DESCH

Settlement paves way for prerelease center in Evergreen
A 90-bed prerelease center is on track to open in Evergreen following the settlement of a lawsuit regarding the denial of the center last year.

Prerelease center lawsuit settlement goes before county board
A settlement agreement in a lawsuit filed by the state against Flathead County for rejecting the opening of prerelease center in Evergreen will be considered by a county board.

Hintze, noted Flathead Valley journalist, dies at 68
On more than one occasion, journalist Lynnette Hintze took notes by flashlight from a windowless newsroom at the Daily Inter Lake.