Some construction activities allowed to resume
CHERYL SCHWEIZER | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 6 years, 3 months AGO
Senior Reporter Cheryl Schweizer is a journalist with more than 30 years of experience serving small communities in the Pacific Northwest. She began her post-high-school education at Treasure Valley Community College and enerned her journalism degree at Oregon State University. After working for multiple publications, she has settled down at the Columbia Basin Herald and has been a staple of the newsroom for more than a decade. Schweizer’s dedication to her communities and profession has earned her the nickname “The Baroness of Bylines.” She covers a variety of beats including health, business and various municipalities. | April 26, 2020 11:57 PM
OLYMPIA — Some construction activities will be allowed to restart under conditions of a revised order issued by Gov. Jay Inslee on April 24. Inslee said during a press conference Friday that the procedure followed in the case of the construction industry will be the blueprint for other industries.
Industries and businesses statewide were shut down by the state in late March as part of the effort to combat the COVID-19 outbreak. Private construction projects were considered non-essential businesses and were shut down.
Inslee’s order allows some projects that were already started to resume at least some activities on the site. Crews must be able to maintain social distancing on the site, which means working at least six feet apart most of the time, and must have the proper personal protection equipment, and job sites must have extensive and frequent cleaning. A safety plan is required, and employees must be monitored for COVID-19 symptoms. Companies must keep a log of job site visits.
Mark Riker, executive director of the Washington State Building and Construction Trades Council, said the reopening order applies to only what are classified as “low risk” activities. Trades council representatives were among the industry groups who helped write the reopening plan.
Each job on a construction site is classified by a risk level, Riker said — low to medium, medium or high risk. Jobs classified as low-risk can start up again. “Any project that can maintain six feet, that project can go on,” Riker said.
Inslee said leaders in the building and construction industry worked to write the plan, a process that took about three weeks. That will be the blueprint for other industries, he said, but he declined to say when other industries will be allowed to reopen.
Allowing hospitals to start some elective surgeries and other services is under consideration, Inslee said, and so is allowing more outdoor activity on state land. Announcements about possible changes for hospitals and outdoor activity should be coming soon, he said, but he did not give any specifics.
Cheryl Schweizer can be reached via email at [email protected].
ARTICLES BY CHERYL SCHWEIZER
Sila Nanotechnologies looking at possible Moses Lake expansion
Quincy Solar project breaks ground
Sila Nanotechnologies is considering expansion of its Moses Lake facility following the announcement of a $1.4 billion loan from the U.S. Department of Defense earlier this month. The company also received about $300 million in funding in July, said co-founder and chief executive officer Gene Berdichevsky.
DiscoverWorks summer school program -- a fun way to learn for Royal students
ROYAL CITY — The Royal School District was chosen for the inaugural DiscoverWorks program in Washington. The program is the work of a foundation based in Bellevue, the Ballmer Group. The Wahluke School District also was part of the initial program.
‘We’re planting seeds’
FFA shows students opportunities in agriculture
MOSES LAKE — Othello High School ag teacher Chris Baginski said there’s plenty of opportunity in agriculture, and one of the goals of FFA is to show students what’s possible, no matter their background. Many FFA participants don’t have farm experience, he said, but there’s room in agriculture nonetheless.