Othello, Warden schools work on fall plans
CHERYL SCHWEIZER | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 9 months AGO
Senior Reporter Cheryl Schweizer is a journalist with more than 30 years of experience serving small communities in the Pacific Northwest. She began her post-high-school education at Treasure Valley Community College and enerned her journalism degree at Oregon State University. After working for multiple publications, she has settled down at the Columbia Basin Herald and has been a staple of the newsroom for more than a decade. Schweizer’s dedication to her communities and profession has earned her the nickname “The Baroness of Bylines.” She covers a variety of beats including health, business and various municipalities. | August 4, 2020 12:04 AM
OTHELLO — How schools will reopen has been decided in some districts and is still under discussion in others.
Othello School District will start its school year with all instruction online, while Warden School District officials are still hoping to have students on campus part of the time.
All schools statewide were closed in March as part of the response to the coronavirus outbreak and stayed closed for the rest of the school year.
The Othello School Board approved a reopening plan July 28. The vote came after extensive discussion and a review by Superintendent Chris Hurst of information from Adams County Health Department. Pete Perez, assistant superintendent of teaching and learning, said the district will be in a better position to provide online instruction than it was when schools were closed in the spring. Teachers will be required to interact with students every day, and the district will require a minimum weekly amount of live online instruction. Attendance will be taken every day, Perez said.
All district buildings were closed in the spring, but they’ll be open this fall, and teachers will be expected to be at school, Perez said. District officials will keep records of the amount of time students are working online. Efforts are being made to help families gain access to a reliable internet connection. Alternative arrangements will be made for families that have trouble getting online.
Warden School District Superintendent Dave LaBounty said the goal is to start school with students on campus at least part of the time. However, Grant County Health District may not approve the district’s plan if the coronavirus is too active. “We have to be ready for that,” LaBounty said.
Even if students are allowed on campus, they will only be at school part of the time, he said. The remaining instruction would be online.
All adults and children coming on campus would have daily screenings and would be required to wear masks. Spaces would be set up to maintain social distancing. Everyone would enter and leave through a designated door.
But online classes, in whole or in part, will be required at the start of the school year.
The district is better prepared for online instruction than it was in the spring, LaBounty said. Every student will have access to a computer, and district officials are working to increase access to an internet connection for families that lack it.
LaBounty credited a special capital levy approved by voters in 2019 that increased funding for technology upgrades. That helped district officials address the areas where adequate equipment and connectivity had been lacking, he said.
Cheryl Schweizer can be reached via email at [email protected].
ARTICLES BY CHERYL SCHWEIZER
Quincy vandalism incidents under investigation
QUINCY — While the Quincy Police Department has identified some persons of interest in a recent rash of graffiti incidents in the city, they’re still under investigation. Captain Jorge Trujillo said the number of incidents has declined over the last two weeks.
New summer program coming to Wahluke School District
MATTAWA — Registration is open for a new summer program for Wahluke School District elementary and middle school students, designed to mix reading and math with experiments, sports, crafts, games and art, among many other activities. The DiscoverWorks program is free for participants. Bethany Martinez, Wahluke director of migrant and multilingual services, said it’s prompted a lot of interest among students and their families. “We actually are at capacity in almost every grade, and are starting a wait list, so it’s definitely something the community is excited for,” Martinez said. “Especially junior high – those kids were (saying), ‘No, Mom, I want to go.’ And seventh grade was our first grade to fill up, which is pretty exciting.”
ML council discusses grant applications, unintended consequences
MOSES LAKE — A request to apply for a grant kicked off a discussion about road projects, how to pay for them and unintended consequences.