County commissioners declare state of emergency
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 6 years, 5 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | March 18, 2020 1:45 PM
The Lincoln County Board of Commissioners declared a countywide state of emergency in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic during its March 18 meeting.
Coming on the heels of President Donald Trumps’ national emergency declaration and Gov. Steve Bullock’s proclamation of a state of emergency for Montana, the county-level resolution gives the board authority to raise two mills in response to the crisis.
Dollars raised by an emergency levy can only be spent with the unanimous decision of county commissioners, according to state code. Money raised during a crisis that goes unspent must be set aside for future emergencies.
County Commissioner Jerry Bennett (D-2), who made the motion to declare a state of emergency, said the board had no immediate plans to raise money.
“I move to approve, but just with the clear understanding that this is just a formality,” he said.
The board voted unanimously to approve the measure.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.