Colorado governor sets economic measures amid virus outbreak
Associated Press | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years AGO
DENVER (AP) — In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, Gov. Jared Polis announced Friday an executive order to expedite state unemployment claims, defer state personal and business income tax payments to July 1, allow consumers to defer loan payments without penalty and prevent mortgage foreclosures.
Colorado is also creating an emergency economic council to take short- and long-term steps to weather fallout from the coronavirus crisis and promote eventual economic recovery, Polis said Friday.
Polis insisted at a Capitol news conference his administration is ramping up efforts to salvage Colorado’s economy and ensure the state has the health infrastructure to confront the crisis, which will grow in coming weeks, and avoid what he called “a catastrophic breach” of that capacity.
“While the public health crisis will touch many of us and many of you will experience illness and loss, the economic crisis will touch all of us. And we want to get, to the extent possible, ahead of that,” Polis said.
Preliminary figures suggest that unemployment claims surged from 1,325 last week to more than 20,000 this week, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment said Friday. The department said its call center fielded nearly 100,000 telephone queries this week, compared to just under 10,000 last week.
Former Denver Mayor Federico Pena, who is heading the new economic panel, said it will address every sector of the state’s diversified economy, from agriculture to energy. Details are forthcoming.
State tax authorities will work with municipalities to help them delay local collections from Colorado’s 2.5 million individual and business taxpayers, he said.
Polis called on federal authorities and Congress to “think big” in increasing federal funding of Medicaid, cash payments to citizens, food assistance benefits, tax relief and child care. He said Colorado recently received personal protective equipment from the federal stockpile but not enough to meet projected needs. He praised Colorado firms that are moving ahead with manufacturing face masks and other equipment.
Once more supplies are in hand “in a matter of weeks,” hospitals will be able to resume elective procedures, he said. A state order Thursday postponed those procedures to allow hospitals to address the pandemic.
Polis said restaurants and bars with alcohol licenses that were shut down by a statewide order will be able to sell alcohol for takeout and delivery as a way to slightly ease the pain those firms are enduring.
Colorado's state health insurance market also is offering a two-week enrollment period for individuals who don't have insurance in a move to help residents affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. In addition, residents who lose their jobs and their employer-based coverage will be able to enroll in an individual health insurance plan on the exchange.
More than 360 people have tested positive for the virus statewide, and four — all elderly — have died.
For most people, the coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. The vast majority of people recover.
MORE IMPORTED STORIES
Colorado creates economic council to address virus fallout
Columbia Basin Herald | Updated 5 years ago
ARTICLES BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
Hong Kong police arrest 4 from university student union
HONG KONG (AP) — Four members of a Hong Kong university student union were arrested Wednesday for allegedly advocating terrorism by paying tribute to a person who stabbed a police officer and then killed himself, police said.
For South Sudan mothers, COVID-19 shook a fragile foundation
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — Paska Itwari Beda knows hunger all too well. The young mother of five children — all of them under age 10 — sometimes survives on one bowl of porridge a day, and her entire family is lucky to scrape together a single daily meal, even with much of the money Beda makes cleaning offices going toward food. She goes to bed hungry in hopes her children won’t have to work or beg like many others in South Sudan, a country only a decade old and already ripped apart by civil war.
For South Sudan mothers, COVID-19 shook a fragile foundation
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — Paska Itwari Beda knows hunger all too well. The young mother of five children — all of them under age 10 — sometimes survives on one bowl of porridge a day, and her entire family is lucky to scrape together a single daily meal, even with much of the money Beda makes cleaning offices going toward food. She goes to bed hungry in hopes her children won’t have to work or beg like many others in South Sudan, a country only a decade old and already ripped apart by civil war.