Ferguson withdraws guilty plea after Cuffe rejects recommended sentence
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 10 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | October 2, 2020 7:00 AM
A Eureka man accused of sexually assaulting a minor over several years withdrew his guilty plea in Lincoln County District Court on Sept. 28, setting the stage for a jury trial.
William James Ferguson, 48, had struck an agreement with prosecutors in mid-August. He initially pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and sexual assault.
As part of the agreement, prosecutors looked to dismiss the sexual assault charge with prejudice while Ferguson pleaded guilty to the pair of sexual intercourse without consent charges. Prosecutors planned to recommend he serve two 20-year sentences with all but four years suspended.
But District Judge Matthew Cuffe made clear Sept. 28 that he did not intend to follow the sentencing recommendations. A harsher sentence was necessary, he told the prosecutorial team and defense.
The victim, in court for the scheduled sentencing hearing, was visibly distraught. Cuffe assured her justice would be served.
Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Ferguson in February after he allegedly used a ladder to watch the victim undress and shower through a window. According to court documents, Ferguson admitted to Detective Duane Rhodes that he had on occasion snuck into the victim’s bedroom and touched her genitalia.
He also admitted to using a ladder to gain a vantage from outside the window, court documents said.
During an interview with the victim, she told Rhodes that the unwanted touching and fondling began when she was nine years old. It continued — always occurring at night — until present, she told authorities.
Investigators believe the assaults began in 2014.
With Ferguson’s plea withdrawn, court officials have scheduled a pre-trial conference for Nov. 2.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.