Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Libby mayor: Pool construction rumor is just that

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 11 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | September 25, 2020 7:00 AM

Despite the rumors, the construction work near Libby City Hall is not for an aquatic center.

After city employees received a spate of phone calls inquiring about the exposed earth, Mayor Brent Teske said Sept. 21 that the area, formerly a traffic triangle, would eventually serve as parking for nearby tennis courts.

“It is not going to be for a city pool,” Teske said during a Libby City Council meeting in an effort to tamp down on the speculation.

How the rumor started remains unknown. City Administrator Jim Hammons said that he has received two phone calls in recent weeks from “pretty upset” residents concerned about the possibility of a pool going in at the spot.

Confusion may stem from a stalled grassroots effort build an aquatic center in town. Last year, members of the adroitly named Kootenai Wellness and Aquatic Center (KWAC) committee unveiled the proposal to applause at a Libby Chamber of Commerce event.

Although initial draft plans called for spending between $5.2 and $9 million on a facility, organizers eventually settled on a $12.6 million proposal. Private donations would fund construction while covering annual operating costs would depend on user fees and residents approving a mill levy during the spring election.

But with the COVID-19 pandemic wreaking havoc on the economy, organizers shelved the ballot question. Tony Petrusha, a leader in the organization, told city councilors Sept. 21 that the group tentatively planned to begin campaigning again in the near year.

“That is not our excavation on that street,” he said.

Word of the rumor caught a few members of city council by surprise.

“Did we really get phone calls?” asked City Councilor Brian Zimmerman.

“Oh yeah,” Teske replied.

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.