Libby mayor urges improved responsiveness
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 3 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | April 30, 2021 7:00 AM
Libby Mayor Brent Teske called on his colleagues on city council to improve their lines of communication earlier this month.
Teske urged the six city councilors to take seriously requests for input, comments or suggestions. That was true whether it was an outside agency crafting a report for City Hall or a fellow city councilor reaching out for thoughts on policy, he said.
“It’s important to get back to the folks who want to know what’s going on out there,” he said.
Teske pointed to the author of the city’s forthcoming storm water delineation report as an example. That individual has received “zero” feedback despite contacting city council, he said.
But the call to action came after City Councilor Brian Zimmerman re-raised twin proposals April 19 to make it easier on developers to construct mobile home developments in Libby. The dual propositions were tabled at an earlier meeting after several city councilors said they were in the dark about the ideas.
Zimmerman said he had looked forward to getting questions, concerns and suggestions from his colleagues in the intervening two weeks. He expressed frustration after receiving none.
“If we wanted to change it, we can definitely all have that discussion and have done that,” Zimmerman said. “But that did not happen.”
His colleagues ultimately killed both proposals in quick succession on April 19.
“Reach out to whomever you’ve got questions for and ask those questions. And then bring that information to council, to the meeting,” Teske said. “I understand Mr. Zimmerman’s frustration — we need to do a better job. If you have nothing, simply email, ‘I have no comment.’”
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.