Libby man pleads not guilty in rape case
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 6 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | February 12, 2021 7:00 AM
A Libby man pleaded not guilty in Lincoln County District Court on Feb. 8 to charges stemming from his alleged rape of an 8-year-old in January.
Cody Joseph Mattis, 47, was arraigned on a single count of sexual intercourse without consent with a victim 12 years of age or younger. He is being held on a $100,000 bond in the Lincoln County Detention Center.
Authorities arrested Mattis after responding to a report of a disturbance in Libby on Jan. 17. In an affidavit, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Steve Short wrote that he headed to the scene about 10:14 p.m. Asking for additional details, Short said that dispatchers informed him that a woman had caught her boyfriend raping a child.
Short recounted speaking with Mattis after arriving at the scene. Mattis admitted to sexually assaulting the child, who is related to him, court documents said.
Short promptly arrested Mattis and took him to the county jail.
Later, Short spoke with the woman who had alerted authorities to the rape, according to the affidavit. She told him she suspected Mattis of sexually assaulting the child. As a result, she had installed a video camera in the bathroom.
The woman said that she had received an alert that someone was using the bathroom and began streaming and recording the video. When she saw Mattis place the girl on the counter and penetrate her, she ran into the bathroom, court documents said.
While yelling and punching him, she noticed that Mattis had his genitals exposed, court documents said. She called 911 soon after.
The 8-year-old victim confirmed the penetration to another deputy, court documents said, telling him that Mattis had put his finger inside of her.
An omnibus hearing has been scheduled for May 3 with a pre-trial conference set for June 7. Were the case to go to trial, it is tentatively slated to start July 13.
Sexual intercourse without consent with a victim 12 or younger by an individual over the age of 18 carries a penalty of up to 100 years behind bars or a life sentence as well as a $50,000 fine.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.