Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Fires aside, Libby police receive zero fireworks-related calls over holiday weekend

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 1 month AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | July 13, 2021 7:00 AM

While the Libby Police Department did not receive any fireworks-related complaints over the Independence Day holiday, officers lent a hand in a pair of pyrotechnics-related fires.

Police Chief Scott Kessel told Libby City Council on July 6 that one blaze began behind a local lodging house while the other occurred on Hamann Avenue.

In the former incident, officers recovered Roman candles and partially empty beer from the scene, he said. The latter occurred after fireworks debris was tossed haphazardly into a pickup truck.

Kessel credited the lack of fireworks-related police calls to the effort the department put into outreach ahead of time, reminding residents that pyrotechnics are banned inside city limits.

“The guys were pretty proactive,” Kessel told city councilors.

Kessel also released police response statistics for June: Department personnel responded to 216 service calls, made 22 arrests, and issued 16 citations and 17 city ordinance violations, mostly related to weeds, tall grass and junk, he said.

While arrests were up over this time last year, service calls were down. In 2020, officers responded to 254 calls, made 13 arrests, and issued 24 citations and 13 city ordinance violations. Kessel chalked the difference in calls up to the pandemic. In June of last year, people were chaffing under stay-at-home orders, he suggested.

“The big difference is in looking through the calls for service,” he said. “We had a lot of domestics, harassment, fights — people were starting to get tired of being locked inside. That’s my explanation for there being an uptick.”

June 2019 saw 260 calls for service, but 40 of those were traffic-stop related and stemmed from extra DUI patrols.

During the update, Kessel said that another member of the department had contracted and recovered from the coronavirus. At this point, half the department has come down with the virus, he said.

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.