Mattis pleads not guilty to additional charges
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 5 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | March 12, 2021 7:00 AM
Prosecutors have brought more charges against a Libby man accused of raping an 8-year-old in January.
Cody Joseph Mattis pleaded not guilty an additional charge of sexual intercourse without consent and a felony count of sexual assault in Lincoln County District Court on March 8. Mattis previously pleaded not guilty to a single count of sexual intercourse without consent.
The charges stem from a disturbance call in Libby on Jan. 17. According to court documents, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office deputies headed to an area home after a woman told authorities she caught her boyfriend raping a child.
In an affidavit, Deputy Steve Short recounted speaking with Mattis after taking the call about 10:14 p.m. Mattis admitted to the act, court documents said.
Authorities said that Mattis’ girlfriend caught him in the act. According to court documents, she suspected he was sexually abusing the child and placed a camera in the bathroom. When she glanced at it, she saw Mattis allegedly raping the child and rushed in to stop him.
The video was recorded, according to the affidavit.
The new charges allege that Mattis raped the child in the living room on or about that same evening, according to the amended charging documents.
Sexual intercourse without consent carries a maximum punishment of up to 100 years behind bars and a $50,000 fine. The sexual assault charge is punishable by at least four years imprisonment and up to 100 years, and a fine of $50,000.
An omnibus hearing in the case is scheduled for May 3 with a pretrial conference to follow on June 7. Were the case to go to trial, it would begin the week of July 13.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.