Miller pleads guilty to sexual assault
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 2 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | May 28, 2021 7:00 AM
A Troy man accused of sexually abusing a boy faces 20 years behind bars after striking a deal with prosecutors.
Nathan Michael Miller, 42, pleaded guilty to a single felony count of sexual assault, victim younger than 16, on May 17. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to drop a sexual abuse of children charge against him.
Miller’s sentencing in Lincoln County District Court is scheduled for June 21. Prosecutors will recommend that Miller receive a 45-year sentence with the Montana State Prison with 25 years suspended. He will be required to undergo sex offender treatment before becoming eligible for parole.
Authorities in Lincoln County began investigating Miller after an Idaho-based therapist alerted them to a 12-year-old client who reported performing sexual acts in front of him, according to court documents. The victim said that Miller had shown him videos of other minors engaging in sexual acts, court documents said.
In an affidavit, Detective Dave Hall described contacting the child’s grandmother. She told investigators that Miller was close with her deceased son and the two families occasionally got together.
Last July, Hall drove to Idaho to meet with the minor. According to court documents, the boy readily acknowledged that Miller had “molested” him. The first incident occurred two years earlier, court documents said. The minor allegedly told authorities that he woke up to Miller performing a sexual act on him.
A second incident occurred in Miller’s apartment in Montana, court documents said. The boy recalled Miller calling him back to the bedroom and showing him pornography. He then began performing sexual acts on himself and the boy, court documents said.
In the affidavit, Hall wrote that Miller had previously come to the attention of authorities. The sheriff’s office had received cyber tips of Miller downloading child pornography. Officials in Boundary County, Idaho, also passed along a cyber tip linking Miller’s phone to child pornography, court documents said.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.