Engineering firm sought for landfill expansion
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years, 7 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | January 21, 2022 7:00 AM
Health department officials say they are reviewing the qualifications of engineering firms interested in working on the county’s planned landfill expansion.
Kathi Hooper, department head, told county commissioners Jan. 12 that she had received documents from three potential partners on the project. One, Great West Engineering, had worked with the county in the past, she said. The firm also comes with experience working on landfills in other Montana communities.
All of the interested companies looked good on paper, Hooper said.
“There’s not a really bad choice; they’re all really qualified,” she said.
Hooper also outlined the department’s short-term timeline for landfill project, which comes with an estimated $5.79 million first phase price tag. She hopes to choose an engineering firm before January's end and have an application to the state Department of Environmental Quality by November. State officials would then have more than six months to review the proposal.
While local officials had longstanding plans to expand the landfill, a rise in the volume of trash in recent years sped up the timeline. Although they had begun to set aside money for the expansion and secured a federal grant, the budget for the project remains short. In November, county commissioners agreed to give the health department $900,000 in American Rescue Plan Act dollars for the effort.
At the time, Hooper warned that the county might have to raise refuse assessments to cover the cost of the project.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.