Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Browning man accused of assault changes plea in federal court

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years, 11 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | September 14, 2022 12:00 AM

A Browning man accused of ambushing and beating another man on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in 2021 pleaded guilty to assault in federal court earlier this week.

Dale Ray Racine, 30, entered a guilty plea to assault resulting in serious bodily injury before U.S. District Judge Brian Morris in Great Falls on Sept. 12. Sentencing was set for Jan. 26.

Racine’s victim was asleep in a Browning home on Nov. 19 when he awoke to banging at the door and the murmur of people talking outside, court documents said. Sitting up, the victim saw Racine and another individual rushing toward him. He was struck several times in the head and once on the hand and leg during the attack, court documents said.

Medical personnel later treated the victim for injuries to his head and hand, officials said in a press release.

The FBI, in cooperation with Blackfeet Law Enforcement Services, investigated the case. Racine faces up to 10 years in federal prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release at his sentencing. He remains in custody, officials said.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.