Rape suspect dies ahead of change of plea hearing
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 2 years, 11 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 31, 2023 12:00 AM
A Kila man accused of raping a 9-year-old girl in 2020 has died ahead of a scheduled change of plea hearing in Flathead County District Court.
Deputy County Attorney John Donovan filed a motion to dismiss the felony incest case against Timothy Allen Seese, 71, in district court on Aug. 28, citing the septuagenarian’s death. The case against Seese, opened in June 2020, was delayed multiple times over the intervening three years.
Authorities initially charged Seese with sexual intercourse without consent, amending it to incest in March 2022. Seese had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Detectives with the Whitefish Police Department began investigating Seese in the late spring of 2020 after a woman alerted authorities to the allegations raised by a then 9-year-old child, court documents said. During a subsequent interview, the minor described how Seese sexually assaulted her twice at her Whitefish home, court documents said.
Seese later allegedly told investigators he was blowing raspberries on the child.
Had the case gone to trial and Seese convicted, he would have faced up to 100 years behind bars with a deferred or suspended sentence unavailable for at least 25 years. He would likewise have been ineligible for parole for the first quarter century of his sentence.
Though Seese had maintained his innocence and at one point in the proceedings Judge Dan Wilson set eight days aside for his trial, he was scheduled to appear in district court on Aug. 31 for a change of plea hearing.
Wilson ordered the case dismissed at Donovan’s behest on Aug. 28.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.