Man allegedly attacked ex with small wooden bat
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years, 2 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | June 6, 2023 12:00 AM
A 57-year-old man accused of taking a bat to an ex-girlfriend in Marion late last month faces an assault with a weapon charge in Flathead County District Court.
James Stenton Wagar is scheduled to appear before Judge Robert Allison on June 22 for his arraignment on the felony count. He was released from the Flathead County Detention Center on his own recognizance on June 1, according to jail records.
Wagar allegedly showed up at his cousin’s home in Marion, where his ex was staying, armed with a bat on May 30. The victim told investigators that he struck her on the right leg with the small wooden bat, according to court documents.
The blow caused her pain, she allegedly told deputies with the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities later interviewed Wagar, who allegedly admitted to pushing his victim to the ground. During the conversation, deputies spotted a small wooden bat inside Wagar’s vehicle and arrested the 57-year-old, court documents said.
Assault with a weapon is punishable by up to 20 years behind bars and a $50,000 fine.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.