Bail reduction denied for arson suspect
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 2 years, 7 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | January 10, 2024 11:00 PM
Judge Dan Wilson denied Jan. 4 a request to lower bail for a 23-year-old accused of setting fire to his family’s Whitefish Stage Road home in December.
Jason Jerald Andreaus Meyer pleaded not guilty to a single count of arson in Flathead County District Court prior to the Jan. 4 bail modification hearing. Prosecutors charged him with the felony after he allegedly admitted to sparking the Dec. 20 blaze to investigators.
Meyer has remained in the Flathead County Detention Center with bail set at $150,000 since his arrest. In seeking Meyer’s release, defense attorney William Managhan described the 23-year-old as a lifelong Flathead Valley resident and Flathead High School graduate. If bail were lowered, Meyer would stay with a relative in Kila, Managhan said.
While conceding that Meyer faced serious allegations, Managhan argued that he had no prior felonies and no history of violence. The fire was lit “in the daytime on a trailer,” Managhan said. “My client was the one who notified everyone and got them out.”
When first responders arrived at the Whitefish Stage Road property, they found the trailer engulfed in flames, according to court documents. While authorities credited Meyer with warning the trailer’s inhabitants, which included his parents, about the spreading fire, he later allegedly copped to setting the blaze.
Meyer told investigators he tossed a cigarette into a pile of oil or gas soaked clothes before lighting a curtain on fire, court documents said.
County Attorney Travis Ahner, who is prosecuting the case, opposed a reduction in bail, pointing to Meyer’s history of traffic citations and at least one instance of failing to appear for a court appointment.
As for the seriousness of the arson charge, Ahner was blunt.
“Mr. Meyer lit a trailer house on fire. That had occupants in it,” he told the court.
Denying Managhan’s request, Wilson pointed to the portion of the affidavit of probable cause describing the fire’s start, that Meyer allegedly lit the blaze following an argument with a relative.
Meyer’s actions “indicate a reckless disregard for the safety and lives of others,” Wilson said.
Wilson set an omnibus hearing date of April 17 for the case with Meyer expected back in court for a June 4 pretrial conference. If convicted, Meyer faces up to 20 years in Montana State Prison and a $50,000 fine.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.