Saturday, August 22, 2026
68.0°F

Creston gravel pit application pulled

MATT BALDWIN | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 year, 4 months AGO
by MATT BALDWIN
Hagadone Media Montana REGIONAL MANAGING EDITOR Matt Baldwin is the regional editor for Hagadone Media Montana, where he helps guide coverage across eight newspapers throughout Northwest Montana. Under his leadership, the Daily Inter Lake received the Montana Newspaper Association’s Sam Gilluly Best Daily Newspaper in Montana Award and the General Excellence Award in 2024 and 2025. A graduate of the University of Montana School of Journalism, Baldwin has called Montana home for nearly 30 years. He and his wife, Sadie, have three daughters. He can be reached at 406‑758‑4447 or [email protected]. IMPACT: Baldwin’s work helps ensure Northwest Montana residents stay connected to their communities and informed about the issues that shape their everyday lives. | April 4, 2025 1:00 PM

A construction company pulled its application Friday for a gravel pit near Creston that had drawn scrutiny from a nearby neighborhood.

In a press release, the Montana Department of Environmental Quality said that Prime Cut Construction, LLC formally withdrew its opencut mining permit application.

The 9.4-acre site off Montana 35 and Old Highway 35 was proposed to be used to mine for gravel and sand. An estimated 500,000 cubic yards of material would be removed from the property over the lifespan of the project. The Montana Department of Transportation previously used about 4.6 acres of the site for open cut mining. The other half is an undisturbed forested area.

In response to the permit withdrawal, the DEQ canceled a public meeting scheduled for next week in Bigfork regarding the project.

"DEQ is working to notify all interested parties of the permit application withdrawal and corresponding meeting cancellation," a press release stated.

"The meeting will not be rescheduled and DEQ is no longer accepting public comment on the permit application or site as there is no active permit application for Opencut mining operations at the site."

Neighbors opposed to the permit said property values would go down if the site is used as a mine again. An online petition to stop the project had 254 signatures as of Friday, April 4.


ARTICLES BY MATT BALDWIN

Skillet Fire containment expands with cooler, wetter weather ahead
August 10, 2026 noon

Skillet Fire containment expands with cooler, wetter weather ahead

The evacuation order was lifted Aug. 7 for Good, Alder and Greg Creek roads. Those areas remained under an evacuation warning due to the 3,299-acre fire, which is about 3 miles from the Good Creek community.

More firefighters arrive at Skillet Fire as smoke worsens air quality
August 3, 2026 4 p.m.

More firefighters arrive at Skillet Fire as smoke worsens air quality

Dozens of additional firefighters arrived in Northwest Montana on Sunday to help contain a wildfire west of Olney that forced residents from their homes over the weekend.

More firefighters arrive at Skillet Fire as smoke worsens air quality
August 2, 2026 4 p.m.

More firefighters arrive at Skillet Fire as smoke worsens air quality

Dozens of additional firefighters arrived in Northwest Montana on Sunday to help contain a wildfire west of Olney that forced residents from their homes over the weekend.