Cousins plead not guilty to slamming pickup, fleeing police
JEFF SMITH | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 8 months, 2 weeks AGO
Jeff Smith is news director for Anderson Broadcasting and a contributor to the Lake County Leader. | December 4, 2025 11:00 PM
A Polson man and his cousin each pled not guilty last week to intentionally ramming a pickup into another pickup, assaulting the occupant, and leading law enforcement on a pursuit.
Dillon Ganuelas Brooks, 27, entered a plea of not guilty in District Court in Polson Dec. 3 to several felony counts. The charges include assault with a weapon, attempted assault with a weapon, three counts of criminal endangerment and misdemeanor charges of assault and resisting arrest.
Nathaniel Brooks, 30, entered pleas of not guilty to felony charges of assault with a weapon, three counts of criminal endangerment, and attempted assault with a weapon. He also pled not guilty to misdemeanor charges of assault and obstructing justice or, in the alternative, accountability to those charges Dec. 4.
According to court records and a statement from Polson Police Chief George Simpson, on Nov. 7, a witness called law enforcement to report an accident. The reporting party saw a Black Chevy Silverado ram into another pickup in front of his residence in the 200 block of 9th Ave. West.
The reporting party said two occupants of the Silverado got out, assaulted the driver of the other pickup, tried to forcefully remove him and then fled. At the time of the assault, two children were inside the vehicle,
An officer saw the Silverado traveling north across the Armed Forces Memorial Bridge on U.S. Highway 93 and gave chase with his lights and siren activated. The pursuit ended on Fox Road and a passenger, later identified as Nathaniel Brooks, was detained.
Dillon Brooks fled on foot to a nearby residence. Law enforcement set up a perimeter around the residence, secured the area and obtained a search warrant. Lake County Sheriff’s deputies entered the residence and arrested Dillon.
Nathaniel Brooks initially told responding officers that Dillon Brooks likely escaped from a tunnel inside the residence. He later admitted he made up the part about the tunnel because he was trying to help his cousin.
Judge Molly Owen set Dillon Brooks’ case for trial on May 4. He also has a hearing set for March 25 to answer a petition to revoke his suspended portion of a sentence handed down in 2021 on a forgery conviction. He is in custody with bond set at $100,000.
Judge John A. Mercer set Nathaniel Brook’s trial for March 9. He is at liberty.
ARTICLES BY JEFF SMITH
Polson woman admits to assault with baseball bat
Talyn Shiloh Bird of Polson admitted to charges stemming from two separate cases against her.
Orozco-Charlo admits to negligent homicide in child's death
A Polson man admitted to charges relating to the death of a child in 2021. Visiting Judge Kaydee N. Snipes-Ruiz of the 12th Judicial District set sentencing for Sept. 11.
Polson man admits to keying truck, causing $5,000 in damage
A Polson man admitted to vandalizing a vehicle, causing more than $5,000 in damages.
