Hundreds use Red Cross shelter after windstorm
MONTE TURNER | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 month, 3 weeks AGO
The Red Cross established an emergency shelter on Wednesday night, Dec. 17, in the Superior School gymnasium after a major windstorm knocked out power across the region.
Red Cross volunteers Aylen Juarez Ocampo and her husband Sam Collins arrived Friday evening for what was planned as at least a two-day shift. Juarez Ocampo explained that if no one requested assistance on Saturday, the shelter would be placed on standby, with contact information posted on the door so those in need could notify staff, who would reopen the shelter within 45 minutes. The shelter officially went on standby at 7 p.m. that evening.
“Thursday and Friday there was a big need,” Juarez Ocampo said.
On Thursday, approximately 200 people were served meals at the gymnasium. On Friday, Bailey Moree, owner of Riverside Soup and Sandz, donated meals for 60 people. Thursday’s food was provided by the Superior School and prepared by school staff along with Red Cross employees and volunteers.
Juarez Ocampo said the shelter’s main priority is keeping people warm and dry.
“We brought cots, blankets, and everything people need to sleep here, if necessary,” she said. “We’re prepared to do what it takes to meet basic needs, and the school has showers available.”
The kitchen remained open throughout the operation and was stocked with food, fruit, water, cookies, chips, and other snacks donated by Walmart.
“The biggest issue right now is people without electricity,” Juarez Ocampo added. “If they also don’t have a wood stove, we really hope they come here.”
Collins noted that the shelter was also equipped with rapid charging stations for phones and other devices.
Juarez Ocampo explained that when the Red Cross mobilizes, a Disaster Manager contacts local governments and Disaster Emergency Preparedness supervisors to coordinate efforts.
“That coordination is critical so everyone knows what services are being offered and what others are doing,” she said, noting that communication can be challenging during power outages. “Whether people want to stay overnight, get a warm meal, take a shower, or just sit somewhere warm for a while, it’s completely up to them,” Juarez Ocampo said.
“Our services are available to everyone.”
Collins raised concerns about communication during emergencies.
“In situations like this, when power cuts off primary communication, how do we let people know we’re here and ready to serve?” he asked.
While Facebook has been a useful tool, he emphasized that not everyone has access to social media or any form of communication during outages. One suggested solution was CodeRED, a free emergency notification service offered through Mineral County Dispatch. More information is available by calling (406) 822-3555.
ARTICLES BY MONTE TURNER
Good eats and good times as fans celebrate Super Bowl
Super Bowl parties are a bright spot in the dead of winter, and even with the Olympics, this year’s big game may have been the largest social event in Mineral County.
Emaciated dog on the mend with help from rescue group
In early November of last year, social media between Frenchtown and Superior blew-up with a single picture of an emaciated dog along the railroad tracks near Alberton headed west that was terrified of humans.
New guard rails planned for East Mullan Road
Locals are celebrating the announcement that new guard rails will be installed next year on a section of East Mullan Road between Superior and Tarkio.


