Father accused of assaulting son with belt
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 year, 5 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | February 26, 2025 11:00 PM
A man accused of taking a belt to his son in 2020 is expected to be arraigned Thursday on one count of felony assault on a minor.
Prosecutors first filed the charge against Juan Carlos Mejia-Prado, 36, in April 2020, according to documents filed in Flathead County District Court. Mejia-Prado was booked into the county jail on Feb. 19, 2025 and released a day later on his own recognizance.
The Kalispell Police Department began investigating Mejia-Prado in January 2020 after the mother of his child accused him of striking the boy with a belt, court documents said. Investigators also described finding a "looping welt" on the minor, court documents alleged.
During a subsequent interview at the Flathead County Children's Advocacy Center, the boy confirmed what his mother had said, telling authorities that his father struck him with a belt in his bedroom.
On Jan. 28, 2020, detectives met with Mejia-Prado, who allegedly admitted to hitting the child. He told authorities it was a mistake, according to court documents.
Assault on a minor is punishable by up to five years in Montana State Prison and a $50,000 fine. Judge Paul Sullivan is presiding over the case.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.