Man sentenced for 2024 standoff sparked by loud music
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 year, 2 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | June 6, 2025 12:00 AM
A man arrested during a 2024 standoff in Kalispell sparked over the volume of music later received a pair of suspended sentences in Flathead County District Court.
Prosecutors initially charged Nathaniel Everett Wood, 32, with felony assault with a weapon and a misdemeanor count of obstructing a peace officer following the March 17, 2024 confrontation on Five Avenue North West. Wood pleaded not guilty that same month but struck a deal with the Flathead County Attorney's Office in August.
As part of the agreement, he pleaded guilty to partner or family member assault and obstructing a peace officer, both misdemeanors, on Aug. 1, 2024.
That same day, Judge Heidi Ulbricht handed down a one-year sentence in the county jail with all but one day suspended for the first count and a suspended six-month sentence for the second. The two were to run concurrently.
Ulbricht gave Wood credit for 12 days of time served. She ordered him to complete a counseling assessment and pay $350 in fines and fees.
The standoff allegedly began after Wood's girlfriend had put her children to bed. She asked him to turn down the volume on his music and he replied by racking a shotgun and leveling it at her, court documents said.
“Ask me to turn down the music again,” he allegedly told her.
The girlfriend later took possession of the gun and tossed it into the yard before calling 911 and fleeing outside, court documents said. Responding Kalispell Police officers told Wood by phone and public address system that he was under arrest. The regional SWAT team showed up after Wood refused to surrender, court documents said.
After securing the release of the children, SWAT team personnel used non-lethal means to force Wood out of the home, according to court documents.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.