From the Archives - March. 13, 2025
Bonners Ferry Herald | UPDATED 2 weeks AGO
On March 9, 1907, W.O. "Teddy" Rosebaugh renovated his "confectionery store" in the Hotel Casey (site of The Dressing Room). He moved a partition that had separated his Pastime Cigar Store from the billiard room to make space for a lunch counter. His idea was to serve "all kinds of quick lunches" and exclusively handle the "famous Hazelwood ice cream". The decision to expand was to create more competition for Joseph Banning's cigar store.
By St. Patrick's Day, Teddy placed an ad in the BF Herald listing his wares. "The Pastime Cigar Store carries a full line of High Grade Cigars and Tobaccoes, Candies, Fruits and Nuts. I have just opened an Ice Cream Parlor, where you will be served with the famous Hazelwood Ice Cream and Ice Cold Soft Drinks." Teddy posed with many of his friends for this photograph on St. Patrick's Day.
In September 1909, Teddy had moved the cigar store into the Knights of Pythias building on Kootenai Street. His former space in the Hotel Casey became the Star Theatre. With a baby on the way, Teddy surprised the public on January 1, 1910 by selling the Pastime to J.H. Hoagland. It was a cash deal. His attention could now be turned to his family.
Joseph Banning had a "good run of business, but owing to the ill health of Mrs. Banning, he thought it best to sell" his store on September 9, 1911. Teddy, having many years of experience in the cigar business, felt the need to help the Bannings. So, Teddy bought the "stock of confectionery, cigars, and tobaccoes and the fixtures" and moved to the Albert Building on Main Street. (Albert building was the old J.F. Cook Drug Store and Post Office between the First State Bank and the Odd Fellow Lodge - today site of The Plaza Downtown.) This business became known as the Rosebaugh Cigar Store.
Your Boundary County Historical Society and Museum, 7229 Main, Bonners Ferry, Idaho sponsors this column.
Visit the museum, Thursday-Saturday 10 a.m.-3 p.m., or visit the website at boundarycountymuseum.org or the museum’s Facebook page for historical photos and stories, and to see upcoming events. The museum can be reached via email at doyouremember@meadowcrk.com or by phone at 208-267-7720.