Mullan man charged with online child enticement
JOSH McDONALD | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 hour, 42 minutes AGO
MULLAN — A 38-year-old Mullan man was arrested Friday and charged with enticement of a child through the use of the internet or other communication device after investigators alleged he engaged in sexually explicit communications with someone he believed was a 13-year-old girl.
According to a probable cause affidavit, Blake S. Wilson was arrested Aug. 14 following an investigation by the Shoshone County Sheriff's Office.
Deputy Francis Maziarski reported responding to a complaint from Robert Garrett, who described himself as an online predator catcher. Garrett told investigators he encountered a man identifying himself as "John" in a Chat-Avenue.com chat room and later communicated with him through a phone number investigators linked to Wilson.
According to the affidavit, Garrett posed as a 13-year-old girl named "Amy" during the exchange. Investigators alleged Wilson continued communicating after being told "Amy" was 13 and sent sexually explicit messages, including statements expressing a desire to have sex. The affidavit further alleges Wilson sent a photograph of a penis and offered to pay for sex.
Garrett provided screenshots of the conversations and identified Wilson through a voicemail message and a Venmo account associated with the phone number used in the exchange, according to investigators.
Court documents state investigators verified the phone number belonged to Wilson and obtained a search warrant for his Mill Road residence in Mullan. Investigators executed the warrant later that day.
During an interview with investigators, Wilson maintained his phone had been hacked and said scammers had contacted him from multiple phone numbers, according to the affidavit. Investigators alleged, however, that Wilson acknowledged sending messages at the beginning of the conversation and admitted he believed he was communicating with a 13-year-old before later suspecting it was a scam.
According to the affidavit, investigators concluded Wilson knowingly used an internet-connected device to solicit and entice what he believed was a minor to engage in sexual activity.
Wilson is currently on probation after pleading guilty to driving under the influence in 2025.
During his initial court appearance Monday, Wilson was formally charged with enticement of a child through the use of the internet or other communication device. The felony charge carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.
ARTICLES BY JOSH MCDONALD
Osburn honors fallen officer
Osburn honors fallen officer
'Fifty years is a long time'
Osburn honors fallen officer