Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Kalispell man receives suspended sentence for allegedly propositioning underage niece

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 6 months, 1 week AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | February 12, 2026 11:00 PM

A Kalispell man charged for allegedly propositioning his underage niece for sexual favors in 2023 received a suspended prison sentence last month.  

Johnathon Daniel Fritz, 37, pleaded not guilty to felony sexual abuse of children at his Jan. 9, 2025 arraignment in Flathead County District Court. But he took a deal in December that saw him plead guilty to an amended charge of felony attempted sexual assault.  

Prosecutors agreed to recommend Fritz receive a suspended 10-year sentence to Montana State Prison as part of the deal.  

Judge Heidi Ulbricht stuck to the terms of the agreement at Fritz's Jan. 15 sentencing, giving him credit for one day of time served.  

Fritz allegedly discussed pornography and genitalia with his two minor nieces while hosting them at his home on Aug. 18, 2023. He later asked one if he could touch her genitalia, according to court documents.  

The girl refused and immediately told a friend, court documents said. The friend told their father, who told the girls' mother in turn.  

She picked the two girls up soon after and alerted the Flathead County Sheriff's Office the next day, court documents said.  

Fritz allegedly acknowledged the wrongdoing to the girls' mother.  

"I don't want you to call the police, but I won't be mad if you do," he allegedly told her. "I know what it will do to me ... I've already ruined my future for what I said to her." 

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected]


ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.