First COVID-19 case detected in Lincoln County
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 6 years, 4 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | March 25, 2020 9:05 PM
The first area resident to contract COVID-19 had recently traveled out of state, said local health officials as they announced the disease’s presence in Lincoln County on March 25.
County health department officials released notification of the positive test result to the public about 8:20 p.m. The individual is described as in their 70s. No other information about the patient was immediately provided.
County Health Officer Dr. Brad Black praised local first responders and medical professionals, saying they were ready for the first case of a disease that has spread across the globe.
“At this time, all indications are that our EMS and hospital personnel were well prepared for this event,” he said. “We feel confident that our medical personnel used appropriate personal protective equipment and were able to minimize potential exposure.”
The case remains under investigation by health department personnel.
Anyone with questions regarding COVID-19 is urged to call the county’s information hotline at 406-293-6295.*
*An earlier phone number provided by the Health Department was incorrect.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.