Watts pleads not guilty to theft charge
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 5 years, 10 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | October 6, 2020 7:00 AM
A local man accused of stealing from his employer while the business was closed during the COVID-19 shutdown has pleaded not guilty in Lincoln County District Court.
James Watts, 25, was arraigned on a single count of felony theft on Sept. 28. The charge stems from an alleged slew of thefts culminating during the height of statewide COVID-19 restrictions between March and June.
Management with the 4Bs restaurant in Libby approached investigators with the allegations in late June. They told Libby police officers that an assortment of items, including equipment and food, had gone missing since the restaurant closed.
According to court documents, the staff suspected Watts as they believed he was behind previous thefts. An employee also told authorities she had spotted a missing freezer on Watts’ front porch.
When investigators turned up at Watts’ home, joined by the man’s probation officer, on June 25, he allegedly admitted to taking a waffle iron and a freezer. He claimed restaurant management knew about his taking the freezer, court documents said.
Watts said he took the waffle iron as compensation for shorted paychecks, according to court documents. He denied taking anything else.
A subsequent search of his home revealed drug paraphernalia, the allegedly stolen waffle iron and assorted kitchenware, court document said. But investigators also came across items, including Sysco brand food, which seemed out of place and likely taken from the restaurant.
Restaurant management provided authorities with an updated list of missing or suspected stolen items upon request. They also accused Watts of regularly ordering foodstuffs for the restaurant and taking it home upon delivery, court documents said.
The revised list included about $2,499.58 in goods, according to the affidavit.
Felony theft carries a maximum three-year sentence and fine of up to $1,500.
An omnibus hearing is scheduled for Nov. 30 with a pretrial conference set for Jan. 11. Were Watts’ case to go to trial, it would begin Feb. 16.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.