Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Leak leaves south Libby residents without water

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years, 8 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | December 24, 2021 7:00 AM

City Administrator Samuel Sikes said a major water leak left residents on the south side of Libby without water earlier this week.

Located between Reese Court and Bowen Hill Road, the broken stretch of pipe was so severe pumps at the city’s water plant were temporarily shut down Dec. 20, Sikes said. Valves back at the city’s water plant began sticking, he said.

Sikes described the repair work while giving his regular report to Libby City Council that same evening. City workers coordinated with Flathead Electric Cooperative as they dug to reach the breach, he said.

Ultimately, residents in the area went without running water for about two hours, Sikes told city councilors.

“That was kind of a little snafu,” he said of the leak.

The repair work served as an orientation of sorts for Travis Breiland, the city’s latest hire, Sikes said. With 20 years of truck driving experience, Breiland is a welcome addition to City Hall, he said. Along with working the water leak, Breiland also pitched in with clearing snow from the city’s roads this past weekend, according to Sikes.

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.