Friday, August 21, 2026
89.0°F

Cases continued for pair accused of C-Falls attack

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 2, 2022 12:00 AM

Two Columbia Falls residents accused of beating a man and threatening him with a gun in April saw their cases in Flathead County District Court continued last week.

Buffie Nadine Daniels and Egan Kodama, appearing separately on assault with a weapon charges, both sought continuances from Judge Dan Wilson at their July 27 pretrial conferences. Authorities arrested the pair after coming across a bloodied man while responding to an April 5 disturbance call on Martha Road.

The man, suffering a head wound, told officers with the Columbia Falls Police Department that he was attacked by a baton-wielding man and a woman, who later drew a gun on him, according to court documents. A neighbor pointed investigators to a nearby home, telling them that a pair armed with a gun and what looked like a metal pipe had entered the building.

Inside the home, officers found Daniels and Kodama as well as a black handgun and bent metal baton, according to court documents.

Daniels allegedly admitted attacking a man with Kodama’s help during a subsequent interview with investigators, court documents said. Still, both pleaded not guilty to the charges in district court.

Last week, defense attorney Timothy Wenz, who represents Daniels, asked for continuance to wait on new DNA analysis. New information may have come to light, he told the court.

Kodama, by contrast, sought a continuance after his previous attorney withdrew from the case. Daniel Wood of the Public Defender’s Office said his agency had since joined on, but needed to find an outside attorney owing to a conflict.

Both were scheduled to reappear in district court for a pretrial conference on Jan. 4 with the cases potentially going to trial after Feb. 13. Both waived their right to a speedy trial in the process.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.