Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Prosecutors lessen charges against man accused of break-in

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 11, 2022 12:00 AM

A district court judge has dismissed a felony charge against a local man accused of trying to burglarize a Columbia Falls home in April.

Douglas Wayne Lukenbill, 69, was initially brought up on a burglary charge after authorities began investigating the alleged April 23 break-in. According to court documents, witnesses identified Lukenbill as the individual caught on surveillance camera acting suspiciously around the home around the time of the alleged burglary.

Deputies with the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office arrived on scene after an individual reviewing surveillance footage of the home spotted a man standing outside about 11 p.m. The man later approached the surveillance camera and removed it, court documents said.

Investigators also concluded that someone had forced open a door at the property.

Though documents filed in district court indicated that Lukenbill acknowledged being in the area after authorities confronted him with the surveillance footage, he pleaded not guilty at his May 19 arraignment in Flathead County District Court.

Late last month, defense attorney Timothy Wenz told Judge Dan Wilson that he had reached an agreement with prosecutors that would see the charges against his client lessened. According to a motion to dismiss filed by Deputy County Attorney John Donovan on Aug. 1, prosecutors will now seek misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass to property and theft in county justice court.

Wilson ordered the burglary charge dismissed Aug. 2.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.