Alleged would-be burglar back behind bars on new charge
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 20, 2022 12:00 AM
One of four men charged in connection with a botched burglary in Kalispell earlier this year is back behind bars, accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument.
Joseph Craig Neva, 20, faces a single count of strangulation of a partner or family member in Flathead County District Court following the Aug. 9 incident. He is being held in the county jail with bail set at $50,000. In March, prosecutors filed a conspiracy to commit burglary charge against him following an aborted break-in he and three others allegedly carried out.
Neva’s girlfriend reported the alleged attack to Kalispell Police on Aug. 11. She told officers the pair got into an argument about money over lunch at a fast casual restaurant in the city. Neva stormed out, she said, and she later got into her car and picked him up near the intersection of Second Avenue West North and West Idaho Street, court documents said.
As they drove west on Idaho Street, Neva, who sat in the front passenger seat, allegedly grabbed her left arm and squeezed. The motion sent the vehicle up onto a sidewalk. His girlfriend told officers they nearly struck a truck during the maneuver.
After she brought the vehicle back under control, Neva allegedly reached over again and grabbed her by the neck with both hands. According to court documents, he then began to squeeze.
His girlfriend told officers she felt lightheaded as she pulled over into a parking lot. Neva then threatened her, smashed her windshield and fled the scene, court documents said.
The strangulation charge carries a maximum punishment of five years behind bars and a fine of $50,000. If convicted, Neva also would need to undergo counseling.
Neva is scheduled to appear in district court for his arraignment on Sept. 22. He will appear before Judge Robert Allison, who also is presiding over Neva’s conspiracy to commit burglary case.
Neva was one of four men arrested after they allegedly forced their way into the wrong home on Fourth Avenue East on March 26. The quartet planned to burglarize the home of an acquaintance, court documents said, but ended up startling a resident watching television.
Two of the men involved have since pleaded guilty to charges related to the break-in. Neva’s next scheduled court appearance in that case is set for Nov. 16.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.