Suspended sentence proposed for artist who shocked former significant other
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years, 8 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | December 8, 2022 11:00 PM
Prosecutors will recommend a renowned local artist receive a suspended five-year sentence with the state Department of Corrections for wiring his then-partner’s shower to shock her over the summer.
Nicholas Oberling, 59, admitted to setting up the contraption under oath during a Nov. 28 change of plea hearing in Flathead County District Court. Under questioning from his defense attorney, Sean Hinchey, Oberling maintained that the scheme was meant to scare his former partner.
Oberling’s then significant other contacted authorities from Hungry Horse on July 24 after suffering several shocks while reaching for the shower soap dish, court documents said. Investigators followed exposed wires from the soap dish through a hole cut into the drywall. On the other side, they found the wires wound around another set of stripped wires and plugged into an outlet, according to court documents.
Oberling described the setup as a way to end his relationship with his partner, which elicited a rebuke from Judge Robert Allison, who is overseeing the case.
“If you’re going to break up with someone, there are better ways to do it,” he told Oberling.
Details of the agreement that led to Oberling’s Nov. 28 change of plea were later filed in district court. When Oberling next returns before Allison for his sentence — scheduled for Jan. 25 — prosecutors will ask that he receive a suspended five-year sentence, and pay all court imposed fees and fines.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.