Commissioners plan to update county procurement process
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 4 years, 6 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | February 22, 2022 7:00 AM
Commissioners are poised to update the county’s procurement policy to allow for purchases up to $80,000 without requiring the bidding process.
Currently, the county must put out to bid any purchase — excepting machinery and equipment — above $25,000, according to Wendy Drake of the finance department. That threshold is $80,000 for the state, she told commissioners Feb. 16.
She requested that commissioners adjust the county’s policy to reflect that of the state.
County Commissioner Jerry Bennett (D-2) welcomed the proposal. He said the county had lowered the threshold several years back while getting a handle on government spending.
“I think it would make it way simpler to mirror state and federal law,” Bennett said.
County Commissioner Brent Teske described the potential change as in line with the cost of goods and services.
“With the cost of things nowadays it doesn’t take much to get above $25,000,” he said.
The board of commissioners is expected to take action on the proposal at its Feb. 23 meeting.
Thank you for taking a look at that,” Bennett told Drake. “I would recommend you go forth and conquer.”
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.