Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Prosecutors: Squatter threatened to shoot deputies

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years, 4 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | April 4, 2023 12:00 AM

Prosecutors charged a man who allegedly threatened to shoot deputies after getting caught squatting on Montana Department of Transportation property last week with one count of intimidation.

Dion Jay Stark, 51, is being held in the county jail with bail set at $50,000 following the March 29 confrontation with law enforcement. He is expected to appear before Judge Heidi Ulbricht for his April 20 arraignment in Flathead County District Court.

Deputies with the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office crossed paths with Stark after a state employee asked authorities to remove the 51-year-old from a shed near the intersection of Two Mile Drive and the U.S. 93 bypass in Kalispell, court documents said. The man was described in court documents as living in the structure at the time.

Deputies arriving about 8:25 p.m. identified themselves to an individual inside the shed and called on the person to come out and speak with them, according to court documents. In response, the man inside the structure allegedly began yelling and threatening to shoot them.

Later identified as Stark, the man told deputies he would “shove a 9 mm up your [expletives],” according to deputies. He also allegedly insinuated he had various deputies under his sights during the confrontation, court documents said.

Deputies reported being unable to see Stark; they believed he was armed, court documents said.

Eventually, with the arrival of more law enforcement personnel on the scene, authorities removed Stark from the shed, according to court documents.

If convicted, Stark faces up to 10 years in Montana State Prison and a $50,000 fine.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.