Upset man allegedly pulled knife on casino employees
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 8, 2023 12:00 AM
A man accused of walking into a U.S. 93 casino, causing a scene and pulling a knife on employees over the weekend faces multiple felony charges in Flathead County District Court.
Prosecutors brought Tyler Jay Walter, 38, on counts of assault with a weapon and tampering with evidence following his Aug. 5 arrest. His arraignment in district court remains as yet unscheduled.
Kalispell Police officers responded to the U.S. 93 casino about 8:07 p.m. for a disturbance call. Employees there told investigators that Walter, who was previously barred from the business, walked in upset and began yelling at them and hollering about a man in a white shirt that he planned on stabbing, according to court documents.
When the employees asked him to leave, Walter allegedly threatened to knife them.
“I’ll stab you guys, too,” Walter said, according to court documents.
He fled after the employees’ announced they were calling 911, court documents said.
Officers found Walter at Lions Park. He denied possessing a knife, but admitted having a blade when he entered the casino, court documents said. Walter allegedly said he tossed it into a dumpster after leaving the casino.
Despite a search of nearby waste receptacles, investigators were unable to turn up the knife, court documents said.
Walter previously faced a felony assault with a weapon case in district court, but saw the 2022 charge dismissed after reaching a deferred prosecution agreement in December. In that case, Walter allegedly threatened his father and another man with a knife.
Assault with a weapon is punishable by up to 20 years in Montana State Prison and a $50,000 fine.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.