Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Man accused of aiming gun at motorists sees case dismissed

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 years AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 16, 2023 12:00 AM

A man accused of aiming a rifle at fellow travelers on U.S. 2 on the day after Thanksgiving reached a deferred prosecution agreement with the Flathead County Attorney's Office earlier this year.

Prosecutors charged Herbert Hale Brown, 64, with two counts of felony assault with a weapon following the Nov. 25 incident. He pleaded not guilty at his Dec. 8 arraignment before Judge Dan Wilson in Flathead County District Court.

Brown ran afoul of law enforcement after a married couple driving westbound along U.S. 2 phoned authorities and reported another motorist for pointing a rifle at them, according to court documents. The pair said they had tried to pass the vehicle and fallen back owing to oncoming traffic.

Back in the travel lane, the couple allegedly saw the motorist ahead of them, later identified as Brown, lift a rifle with one hand. Lifting it a second time, he pointed the weapon at the pair, court documents said.

When Flathead County Sheriff’s Office deputies met up with Brown later on, they described him as uncooperative. He had called 911 as well and allegedly reported brandishing a weapon at the people inside a vehicle following him.

Brown did make a phone call in front of deputies, allegedly to his children. According to court documents, he told them he had done “something stupid” and admitted brandishing the rifle.

Citing the deferred prosecution agreement, County Attorney Travis Ahner filed a motion to dismiss the case in district court on April 10. Wilson ordered it dismissed without prejudice April 14.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.