Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Man who allegedly threatened casino employees inks pretrial diversion agreement

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 2 years, 9 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | November 7, 2023 11:00 PM

A Flathead County District Court judge in September dismissed felony charges against a man accused of pulling a knife on casino employees after he reached a pretrial diversion agreement.

Prosecutors initially brought Tyler Jay Walter, 38, up on felony counts of assault with a weapon and tampering with physical evidence following the alleged Aug. 5 confrontation. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment later that month and signed the agreement with prosecutors on Sept. 11. 

Walter must remain law abiding for one year, continue mental health counseling and follow the recommendations of his treatment providers, as per the agreement. He is also barred from the casino where the alleged confrontation took place and prohibited from contacting the two victims. 

Deputy County Attorney Amy Kenison filed a motion to dismiss the case on Sept. 12. Judge Danni Coffman ordered the charges dismissed on behalf of Judge Amy Eddy, who presided over the case, without prejudice that same day. 

Authorities began tracking Walter after responding to a U.S. 93 casino about 8:07 p.m. for a disturbance call. Employees alleged Walter walked in upset and began yelling about a man in a white shirt that he planned to stab. Walter previously was barred from the casino, court documents said. 

Asked to leave by the employees, Walter allegedly threatened them. 

“I’ll stab you guys, too,” Walter said, according to court documents. 

But he allegedly fled after they called 911. Authorities later found him at Lions Park, where he admitted to carrying a blade when he entered the casino, but denied having a knife, court documents said. Despite a search, investigators were unable to recover the knife.

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.