Man accused of threatening school shooting given deferred prosecution agreement
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 2 years, 10 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | October 4, 2023 12:00 AM
A 36-year-old accused of threatening to shoot up a school in text messages last spring saw the charges filed against him dismissed after inking a deferred prosecution agreement.
Robert Arnold Brown faced one count of felony intimidation and a misdemeanor charge of assault with a bodily fluid following his May 8 arrest in Columbia Falls. Prior to his arrest, Brown allegedly had issued threats with his phone, including one making reference to an upcoming school shooting, court documents said.
“I am about to shoot up a [expletive] school are you hearing me …” read one of the messages, according to court documents.
A relative alerted the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office to the texts and told them where Brown worked and what type of vehicle he drove, court documents said.
After his arrest, Brown allegedly spat in the face of a detention officer at the county jail.
Brown pleaded not guilty to the charges at his May 15 arraignment.
In August, he reached a deferred prosecution agreement with the County Attorney’s Office. In exchange for two years of good behavior, prosecutors will forgo pursuing the charges. Brown also agreed to undergo a mental health evaluation and continue to receive mental health treatment during that two-year period.
Prosecutors filed a motion to dismiss the charges, citing the deferred prosecution agreement, on Aug. 8. Judge Danni Coffman ordered the case dismissed the following day.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.