Officials no longer seeking kidnapping charge against Kalispell man
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 2 years, 3 months AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | May 11, 2024 12:00 AM
Citing new information about what authorities initially described as an attempted abduction in Kalispell last week, officials said they are no longer seeking a felony charge against a 38-year-old man arrested during the incident.
Aaron Douglas Kupka of Kalispell, who was arrested May 8 by Kalispell Police officers at a gas station near the intersection of U.S. 93 and Cemetery Road, remains in the Flathead County Detention Center for an alleged probation violation. Investigators initially also held him on a pending felony attempted kidnapping charge.
Kupka’s bail is set at $200,000, according to county jail records.
A 16-year-old involved in the incident now faces a charge related to filing a false police report, officials said. Because the teenager is a minor, authorities said few details about the incident will be released.
Officers headed to the gas station May 8 after receiving reports of a fight in the parking lot.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone
A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.
Suspect charged in brutal assault near Glacier Park International Airport last year
stry
Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.