Friday, August 21, 2026
89.0°F

Man accused of armed robbery given partially suspended sentence

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 1 year AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | August 8, 2025 12:00 AM

A Kalispell man arrested for allegedly robbing a panhandler with a machete last summer later received a partially suspended sentence in Flathead County District Court.

Prosecutors initially brought up Michael Robert Hughley, 54, on felony counts of assault with a weapon and robbery following the alleged July 17, 2024 shakedown at the intersection of Woodland Park Drive and U.S. 2 East. Though Hughley maintained his innocence at his arraignment in August of that year, he struck a plea deal with prosecutors that November.  

In exchange for a guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to amend the assault with a weapon charge to felony criminal endangerment and drop the robbery charge. As per the agreement, they would recommend Hughley receive five-year sentence with the state Department of Corrections with three years suspended.  

Hughley changed his plea Nov. 7, 2024.  

Judge Heidi Ulbricht, who presided over the case, stuck to the terms of the agreement at Hughley's sentencing earlier this year. She handed down the partially suspended sentence on Jan. 9 while giving him credit for 64 days of time served.  

Hughley's run-in with law enforcement began after he allegedly approached the panhandler while armed with a machete. He gave her until the end of the day to turn over $50 and threatened to chop her up if she missed the deadline, court documents said.  

Hughley allegedly took her luggage and water before leaving.  

The victim, who knew Hughley, identified him for investigators with the Flathead County Sheriff's Office. When they confronted him at his Evergreen home, he accused the victim of stealing $50 from him, according to court documents. He allegedly admitted to taking the victim's belongings but disputed her account that he threatened her with a machete.  

Hughley told authorities he kept a machete in his vehicle, and it fell out during the confrontation, court documents said. He allegedly said he picked it up and held it in his hands while they talked.  

Deputies later recovered the machete and the victim's belongings from Hughley's vehicle, court documents said. 

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].


ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.