Friday, August 21, 2026
89.0°F

U.S. citizen gets probation for trying to smuggle British husband across the border

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 7 months, 2 weeks AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | January 7, 2026 11:00 PM

A United States citizen who aided her husband in trying to cross into the U.S. illegally near Eureka last year was sentenced to six months of probation on Wednesday.  

Tracy Routh Lautenslager, 54, of California had planned on April 1 to drop her husband — a British citizen — off near the border, cross into the U.S. and then pick him up on the other side, according to court documents. As she entered the U.S. and headed toward Swisher Lake area near Lake Koocanusa, U.S. Border Patrol received information that a man was walking across the border.  

Border Patrol agents searched unsuccessfully for the man and believed he had given up and returned to Canada. Royal Canadian Mounted Police eventually found him walking around, seemingly lost, court documents said.  

Authorities took the man to the Roosville Port of Entry to identify him and determined him to be a British citizen without lawful status in the U.S. 

Lautenslager tried to return to Canada in the meantime, but was denied entry. Interviewed by investigators in the U.S., she allegedly admitted to planning to get around the immigration process and avoid a port of entry. A search of her mobile phone revealed texts between her and her husband documenting the logistics behind the plan, court documents said.  

In August, Lautenslager pleaded guilty in federal court to a single count of conspiracy to bring aliens into the U.S. at a location other than a designated port of entry.  

U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen presided over the case, which was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Katy Stack and investigated by Border Patrol. 

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 758-4430 or [email protected].


ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.