Friday, August 21, 2026
87.0°F

Bigfork man accused of breaking into former home armed with a gun

DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 3 months AGO
by DERRICK PERKINS
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | May 20, 2026 12:00 AM

A Bigfork man allegedly broke into his former home earlier this month and leveled a handgun at the man watching television inside with his soon-to-be ex-wife. 

Prosecutors brought Nathan Willard Rehmer, 44, up on a felony assault with a weapon charge following the alleged May 3 confrontation. He pleaded not guilty before Judge Paul Sullivan in Flathead County District Court on May 7. 

The victims told Flathead County Sheriff's Office deputies that they were watching a show in the living room of the Bigfork Stage home about 1 a.m. when an apparently drunk Rehmer stormed inside, according to court documents. His wife said the two are still married but in the process of separating.  

"Get the [expletive] out of my house and don't ever come back or I will kill you," Rehmer allegedly said to the man inside before pointing a gun at him.  

The male victim told authorities that he saw a red laser dot appear on his body and remembered Rehmer racking the slide, according to court documents. He fled the house soon after, he told deputies.  

Rehmer also departed before deputies arrived, but his wife told the authorities he was staying at another property on the same street, according to court documents. After arresting Rehmer there, deputies allegedly found a 9 mm pistol with a working laser sight inside.  

Taken to the county jail, Rehmer allegedly assured investigators that he expected his wife to drop the charges and said he only wanted to scare the man in the house.  

If convicted with assault with a weapon, Rehmer faces up to 20 years behind bars and a $50,000 fine. 

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 406-758-4430 or [email protected]. If you value local journalism, pledge your support at dailyinterlake.com/support.

ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS

August 14, 2026 9 a.m.

Motorist accused of hitting flagger in Whitefish construction zone

A Whitefish motorist suspected of running over the foot of a construction zone flagger in June is now up on a felony charge.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025
August 12, 2026 2 p.m.

Serio given 100-year sentence for killing a man with his car in 2025

Convicted murderer Jeffrey Scott Serio received a 100-year prison sentence Wednesday for intentionally running over and killing a Flathead Valley man in the summer of 2025.