Kalispell burglary suspect takes deferred prosecution agreement, pleads guilty to trespass
DERRICK PERKINS | Hagadone News Network | UPDATED 23 hours, 18 minutes AGO
NEWS EDITOR Derrick Perkins serves as News Editor at the Daily Inter Lake. He oversees daily news coverage and works closely with reporters to plan, edit and publish stories across print and digital platforms. Perkins helps coordinate coverage of local government, public safety, business and community developments throughout Northwest Montana. He works with the reporting staff to strengthen journalism while maintaining consistent daily coverage. His role helps ensure the newsroom delivers timely, accurate reporting that readers rely on. IMPACT: Derrick’s work keeps readers informed about the decisions and events shaping their communities every day. | May 21, 2026 12:00 AM
A man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend's Kalispell home while she and her partner slept last year later received a deferred prosecution agreement and a suspended jail sentence.
Prosecutors brought Jesse Reed Coleman, 44, up on one felony count of burglary in Flathead County District Court following the alleged summertime home invasion. He pleaded not guilty at his July 31 arraignment before Judge Amy Eddy but struck a deal in November.
Under the arrangement, the Flathead County Attorney's Office agreed to defer prosecution of the felony burglary for three years and eventually drop the case if Coleman held up his end of the bargain. For Coleman, that means remaining law abiding, eschewing contact with the victims, undergoing substance abuse counseling and keeping a job. Coleman is barred from possessing guns, gambling, drinking alcohol and entering any bars, casinos or other businesses that primarily serve alcohol during the three-year period.
The deal also required Coleman to plead guilty to an added misdemeanor count of trespass to property. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to recommend he receive a suspended six-month jail sentence.
Eddy stuck to the terms of the agreement at Coleman's Dec. 3 sentencing. She gave Coleman credit for 5 days of time served and ordered him to pay court fines and fees of $585.
Eddy ordered the felony burglary charge dismissed without prejudice the following day.
The victims awoke about 1:30 a.m., July 10 to find a strange man in their bedroom shining a light on them, according to court documents. When the male half of the couple cursed loudly, the stranger cried out in response and fled down the stairs.
The victims followed him down, hollering as they went.
The woman told investigators that she recognized the stranger as Coleman, an ex-boyfriend she had not spoken to in several years, according to court documents.
The couple found several places where they believed he tried to break in before gaining access to the home through an unlocked window near the main living area, court documents said. Screens on several windows were damaged, and they found a footprint on the front door as if someone tried to kick it in and another footprint on the roof.
News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 406-758-4430 or [email protected]. If you value local journalism, pledge your support at dailyinterlake.com/support.
ARTICLES BY DERRICK PERKINS
Kalispell burglary suspect takes deferred prosecution agreement, pleads guilty to trespass
A man accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend's Kalispell home while she and her partner slept last year later received a deferred prosecution agreement and a suspended jail sentence.
Prosecutors: Man fought with officers sent to recover stolen phone
A 32-year-old Kalispell man accused of stealing a woman's phone in April is staring down multiple charges after allegedly fighting with the police officers sent to retrieve the device.
Bigfork man accused of breaking into former home armed with a gun
story